NZ Hike.. backpack

Submitted: Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 17:01
ThreadID: 81919 Views:2451 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Daughter has convinced me to accompany her hiking the Routeburn Track in NZ.. looks great.

I need a backpack to do the job... but probably won't use it much more than for this trip. Any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 17:06

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 17:06
Hi Royce

I'm not into overnight hikes and self torture, so can't help about back backs - but with her experience, follow her advice. Does her companion from her Tasmanian hike have one you could borrow? Who knows, you may want to take more and more hiking holidays.

What did you do to that girl to make her grow up into such an adventurer?

How many day is the hike? So long as you can keep up with her, I'm sure you'll have a marvellous time.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 433154

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 19:06

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 19:06
I guess our many trips [with only general planning] around oz from the time she and her brother were still in nappies have lead to this adventure streak.

Stuck in the middle of the Tanimi with a burning battery.
Bogged in a sand dune on the way to Chambers Pillar.
Stuck in second gear all the way across the Nullabor etc...

We are going on a six day five night hike and I think maybe I'll lead... that way I'll keep up!
FollowupID: 703972

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 17:56

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 17:56
Royce
Spend the money and buy a decent one, then sell it on e bay/ trading post when you get back .
For the probable $70 net it will cost, you will be far more comfortable and blister free than buying an el cheapo which may be more uncomfortable. The harness system is quite important, especially being shown how to adjust it to your body and whether you are walking on flat, up or down hills.

A hybrid Travel-backpack 60-75Litre capacity will set you back around $250-270 for a good brand, when on sale/ special. Keep your eyes out at major camping stores, especially the clearance ones, they have specials often enough.
You never know, you may find it handier to use than a suitcase even for leisure travel and decide to keep it.

A Hybrid pack has both a top opening section as well as zip on the back which opens it like a suit case. As I seem to remember your daughter doing the Overland Track in June, she should know enough.

Good on you for going

Mark

AnswerID: 433165

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 18:06

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 18:06
My wife & I do lots of backpacking. In fact we just got back from an 8 day 120km hike on the Larapinta trail in the McDonnell ranges. It was a once in a lifetime experience with heaps of flowers & water around.

I use a ONE PLANET 90 litre pack for longer walks carrying heavy weights such as this walk required. Probably a bit pricey for a one off use but a good mid price range pack brand that are pretty comfortable & durable is the DEUTER brand. Get yourself some good walking boots too but break em in before you go. Also good quality waterproof pants & jacket.

Now I am costing you a fortune with all my recomendations!
AnswerID: 433167

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 18:32

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 18:32
To get into the Pound could you get up Ormiston Gorge without having to swim (or take the Ghost Gum track ), we couldn't it in May ?
FollowupID: 703963

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 20:16

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 20:16
We did sections 8 to 3 so missed Ormiston gorge. Did quite a bit of walking around Ormiston 15 yrs ago so that's why we started at 8. Got pretty wet around the Hugh river area. LOTS of water.

Never seen so many Budgerigars & finches.
FollowupID: 703992

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 18:09

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 18:09
In the middle of winter again? That kid will be the death of you,Royce ;-))
AnswerID: 433169

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 19:08

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 19:08
Not winter this time. The second week of December. Might get a bit hot at times! If I do kark it... it will the the way I want to go!
FollowupID: 703974

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 20:51

Friday, Oct 15, 2010 at 20:51
Bigger bushwalking shops often have hire Depts so you don't need the hassle of buying.

There are huts on the Routeburn so you don't need a huge pack. 70l would be plenty.

More importantly it gets darned wet there so buy/hire a w/proof pack cover and take good wet weather gear.

It's a great walk but 3 decades later I still recall the amount of water; above, below and around!
AnswerID: 433200

Reply By: Pushy - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:08

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:08
Royce,

Definitely stick to the better brands either second hand or new. If you buy quality and dont use it again you can always on sell it and still get a good price.
Just like a 4wd, a good one will always have good resale value and will perform the best.

I suggest MacPac, Mountain Designs,One Planet or similar. Go for the smallest and lightest you think you can fit all your gear in. You may also have to invest in a lightweight tent and sleeping bag (definitely goosedown). Every gram counts.

Anywhere in NZ you will need a Goretex jacket and wicking clothing no cotton.

Check out "our hiking blog"

I am sure it will be a wonderful trip.
AnswerID: 433245

Sponsored Links